If you own a business- you are already aware of the time and energy required to create email marketing campaigns, and the frustration that follows when you realize the click through rates are low or nonexistent. Generating emails with calls to action can distinguish a successful email campaign from an unsuccessful one. These five easy to implement best practices will help you create successful calls to action in email campaigns by increasing click-through rates, as well as engaging customers:
- Simple and Direct: The old approach “Click Here” does not work in email campaigns because it is vague. A more direct approach such as creating a button that says, “Join Our Club for 20% Discount”, is much more attractive because it is clear and tells the customer exactly how they can benefit when they click. This provides VALUE to the customer!
- Incorporate Strong Verbs and Urgency: Start your call to action with a strong verb. For example, customers are much more likely to click on, “Join Now, Free!”, over, “Click Here”. Creating a sense of urgency also motivates a customer to proceed by delivering them a time pressure deadline. Urgency can lead a customer to take the next step which makes the campaign effective.
- Above the Fold: Keeping the call to action above the fold ensures your customer will not miss the information you are trying to convey in the split second they look at that email. Show your customers the value at the beginning.
- Attract Attention: Make sure your calls to action bring attention and can’t be missed. Your customers will not notice it if it blends in with the rest of your email, so make it stand out by using contrasting colors so that it’s noticeable. If incorporating multiple calls to action, it is important to draw attention to the most important action by using a larger size, different shape, and/or color. If the calls to action are equal in importance, make sure they are similar in their features.
- Split Test: Testing your calls to action can be really powerful. Small adjustments can make a big difference. The only real way to be confident in which call to action is effective is to test them, learn from your mistakes, and improve on those results.
There are many aspects that can influence a conversion rate and there is no perfect across the board solution, so pay close attention to what is working and build on that to become more effective.
Feel like you could use more email tips? Do you often receive bounce-backs when sending bulk emails to your customers? Our guest webinar hosted on Thursday (2/6/2014) at 11:00 PT by LeadSpend will show you how to ensure that your emails have the best delivery rates possible by having a clean subscriber list. This is a must see for any merchant that relies on email marketing. Register here!