5 Triggered Email Ideas to Create a Positive Brand Experience
When it comes to email marketing, there are basically two types of emails – Broadcast emails and Triggered emails. While broadcast emails are the same for everyone on your list – e.g. announcements, newsletters — Triggered emails are customized based on specific actions, behaviors, or events – e.g. subscribes to mailing list, joins wine club, abandons shopping cart, has a birthday, approaches a deadline or event date. Why should you utilize triggered emails?
- Much higher engagement, response and revenue than broadcast email because they are more personal and relevant
- Shows the customer or prospect that you’re “paying attention” and notice when they engage with you, which makes your company more authentic and trusted
- Variety is important because people tend to ignore emails that repeat the same messaging and lack relevancy
- Better customer service and streamlined operations due to triggered confirmations, updates, and other automated messaging that save you time and money.
- Typically generate a huge return on investment because once they are set up, they run automatically and don’t require a lot of on-going work
Now that you know the benefits, here are five triggered email campaign ideas to get started:
1. Welcome Email – Perhaps the most important
- Acknowledge new subscribers and express appreciation with a special offer
- Set expectations for future emails
- Include company contact info and links to manage account
- Send welcome email in real-time and include “Welcome” in the subject line
Benefits: Verifies deliverability of email, immediately engages subscriber/customer, strengthens brand perception
2. Remarketing – Abandoned Cart Emails
- Recover lost opportunity and sales
- Keep messaging friendly and personable
- Include images and links to products or categories
- Include a call to action such as “Log in to complete your purchase”
Benefits: Increase revenue, maximize ROI
3. Post-Purchase – Order Confirmation, Order Status Update, etc.
- Confirm Transaction and thank customer for purchase
- Include an invitation to connect on Facebook , Instagram, or Twitter
- Provide Customer with Order Status Update, such as a “Your order has been Shipped”
- Gather feedback via product reviews or provide product recommendations
Benefits: Increased brand impressions, incremental sales, customer Insights, multi-channel connections
NOTE – Nexternal’s eCommerce platform will send Order Confirmation Emails, Shipped Emails and Review Reminder Emails automatically!
4. Personal Greetings – Give your brand a human touch
- Build intimacy by rewarding customer loyalty
- Acknowledge milestones such as preferred customer status, anniversaries, birthdays, etc.
- Focus on thanking and giving before promoting
- Offer coupons or specials with deadlines for redemption
Benefits: Personal & conversational in nature, keeps your brand top-of-mind
5. Re-Engagement – Uncover hidden opportunities
- Define what “Inactive” means for your business (e.g. customers that haven’t placed an order in over a year)
- Use friendly “we want you back” messaging and provide incentive
- Identify inactive and/or invalid emails to clean your email list
- Send on a recurring basis – monthly or bi-monthly
Benefits: Clean email list, incremental revenue, rekindle relationship
NOTE – Nexternal’s integration with MailChimp’s Ecommerce360 enables you to easily set up triggered emails based on past purchase behavior.